Thursday, December 30, 2010

Rapunzel, Rapunzel

I saw Tangled last week, and I'm still not 100% sure about how I feel about it. History has proven that I love Disney done well, but I can't quite figure out if Tangled fits into that category or not.

There's one thing about the movie I know for certain, though: Rapunzel herself may be my new favorite Disney princess.


"He really LIKES me!"

Tangled has a lot of less-desirable elements that have come to plague modern animated movies - uninspired music, stupid plot contrivances, and character designs that dance gaily in the depths of the uncanny valley. Not to mention those stupid animal sidekicks. Man, did I HATE the horse.


I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

Truthfully, at first glance, Tangled looked quite a bit like a Dreamworks animated picture, an association that for me carries very few positive qualifications. Especially when you looked at the movie's slapstick trailer, which focused almost exclusively on Flynn Rider getting the crap kicked out of him by Rapunzel's hair.


Remember this scene from the movie? No?

It's almost like Disney didn't have any faith in the strength of their main character, so they shifted the focus of their marketing away from her. Heck, they even changed the title of the movie to deflect attention from the princess - Tangled implying that someone ELSE is caught up in Rapunzel's hair, not the princess herself.

Why WASN'T the movie called Rapunzel, anyway? Seriously, after about twenty minutes, all I wanted to do was watch Rapunzel. She's about the most 3D character I've ever seen in a Disney movie, and that has very little to do with the computer modelling.

Rapunzel strikes me as being very REAL (in an exaggerated, cartoony way, sure, but still real). When Rapunzel finally makes the decision to break away from her mother's control and venture out beyond the tower, she reacts... pretty much like you'd expect someone to, with a mixture of excitement and guilt. The way she switches so dramatically between these two emotions makes for a great montage, but it also accurately reflects the mood swings of a teenager.

Not only is she realistic, but she's incredibly confident and capable - moreso than any Disney princess besides Mulan (and, seriously, who counts Mulan as a princess other than the Disney marketing department?). Rapunzel is HARDLY a helpless damsel in distress, even though she is being held captive in a tower against her will. She takes on Flynn Rider all by herself, she stares down the thugs and ruffians in the tavern alone, and she even tames... sigh... that $#%^in' horse.


They say this cat Rapunzel is a bad mother- Shut your mouth!


The absolute BEST part about Rapunzel's characterization, though, is that she's not completely helpless for no reason when the plot requires her to get captured. Remember that scene when she's attacked by Flynn Rider's old associates? She stumbles about and screams for help like any good old helpless female does. See, I got to this point in the movie and asked, "What happened to the strong girl that acted so confidently back in the mine?"

Then I realized the answer: HER HAIR IS BRAIDED. That extraordinary long hair isn't just a fashion statement for Rapunzel - it's the source of her strength and confidence (at least at this point in the flick). She uses her hair as a weapon when she needs to get out of trouble, but, with her hair in that thick braid, she's completely unarmed.


Nice fashion choice. Poor tactical decision.

It's too bad that Rapunzel gets saddled with such lazy supporting characters and lackluster musical numbers. (Seriously, when I heard Rapunzel's first song, I thought Miley Cyrus was doing her voice, and that's NOT a compliment to anyone). Still, the character herself is well-crafted and incredibly likable, so I'm pretty sure, if anyone asks whether I like Tangled or not, I'll have to answer in the affirmative.

Or, you know, go off on a twenty-minute rant on how I coulda made the movie better.

6 comments:

Adrianna said...

I heard they changed to "Tangled" rather than Rapunzel in order to appeal to boys. Apparently no boys wanted to see "The Princess and the Frog" so they figured they better switch it up.

It's all marketing.

heidikins said...

Hrm, I actually loved the horse. To me, he was the best part of the movie. I hope we can still be friends.

And I'm torn on the rest of the movie--I liked it, LOVED some parts...but overall it was just...I don't know. Not my absolute-most-favorite-thing-in-the-history-of-all-time.

xox

miss kristen said...

They changed the name to "Tangled" after Princess and the Frog tanked although it was a brilliant return to the hand drawn animation from Disney's glory days-to appeal to boys and families with boys.
And HOW did you not LOVE the horse? he reminded me of Phillip's horse in Sleeping Beauty-my favorite Disney princess movie.
Tangled was good, but I miss the music Disney was once known for-and Mandy Moore as the voice of Rapunzel was just distracting.

Lindsay Rager said...

I don't really like sidekicks, period. I loved Rapunzel's character as well, for most of the same reasons you stated, so I'll just say amen.

Anonymous said...

How did you not Love maximus? Tangled is the best movie ever!!

Everyone with a brain can see that….

Anonymous said...

that's hilarious because Rapunzel is easily the most contrived, inorganic-feeling princess to be made yet. She's definitely a damsel, but that's not a bad thing (and shame on anyone who shames a woman for daring to need help instead of being a flawless Mary Sue Wonder Woman). She CONSTANTLY needing rescuing after getting herself into scrapes yet we're supposed to see her as this bad@ss adorable feminist? No.

I agree with the rest though. Flynn wasn't original, too Dreamworksy, bad generic soundtrack, recycled Disney themes, Max was annoying, I liked Gothel though. the one Disney villain I actually felt some sympathy for.