Thursday, July 7, 2011

Braddy Reads a Trifecta of Kiddie Comics

Although they're often perceived as a kid's medium, comics aren't always suitable for all ages (just look at the recent DC superhero redesigns and you'll see what I mean). Of course, there are still plenty of comics geared specifically towards children. I picked up a few last week (kinda coincidentally) and read them through, and was pretty surprised with what I found.


First up we've got Jason Shiga's Meanwhile, a cross between a comic book and a Choose Your Own Adventure novel. Readers pick between branching paths which start with an innocent trip to the ice cream shop and end with... um... most likely... world annihilation.

It's a bizarre trip.

Comic panels which normally read from right to left are instead connected by a tiny tube (which you can see on the cover), sometimes leading to a completely different page. Panels are nestled within other panels that you're NOT SUPPOSED TO READ YET SHHH!, making for one of the densest, most confusing reading experiences I've ever had - and I've read "The Waste Land" TWICE.

That said, the story itself actually prompts a lot of thought about fate and free will (more than I'd expect from a so-called "children's book"). There's a lot to chew on, but not so much that the book really merits a re-read. Definitely worth experiencing at least once, though.


Next up, we've got Jill Thompson's Scary Godmother, a book I've wanted to read for a while. And, you know... it's all right.

The hardcover linked above contains five different Scary Godmother stories, some of which are DEFINITELY stronger than others. The debut effort is a solid kid's story, and the sequel (a twisted take on How the Grinch Stole Christmas) is even better.

It's when Thompson veers off the beaten path of the traditional kid's stories that her work's the strongest. By far my favorite story of the bunch was "The Mystery Date," in which an innocent note leads two young children off in search of the Scary Godmother's secret admirer, only to find that the entire population of creepy creatures has the hots for her.

I don't know if I'd buy this collection for anything more than the artwork (which is fantastic, by the way). If I had kids, however, it'd be a no-brainer.


By far my favorite of the books I picked up (and the biggest surprise) is a little collection of Andy Runton's Owly, a book I'd only heard reference to once. I found it while browsing for Scary Godmother and figured, "What the heck. I'll pick it up."

I absolutely loved this little story.

Owly's a (seemingly flightless?) bird with a love for the world that the world... doesn't often reciprocate. He's a predator, so other animals tend not to trust him. Still, Owly's out there, putting out seeds for the other birds and helping a little lost worm find his way back home.

The stories are mostly wordless - the characters speak through pictures in word bubbles. Runton's art is... I've used the word "exploitative" to describe it, actually, which may be a bit too much. When Owly's attempts at kindness are rejected, he FREAKIN' CRIES, which is just cheap.

I read the second book in the series as well, which wasn't quite as solid (or maybe it just wasn't as fresh). Honestly - and this just may be the emotional sissy in me - I could probably find a place for this first volume on my bookshelf.

No comments: