Friday, December 2, 2011

Bedtime Stories for a Busy Week


Geez... I don't know about anyone else, but I'm POOPED.

Month-end is always a busy time at work, and, since we've been short-staffed for several months, I've been more stressed out than usual. All I want is to curl up in bed after drinking a tall glass of milk with cookies and have someone read me bedtime stories while I go to sleep. Is that too much for a grown man to ask?

Apparently not - I've seen several reports this week (but mainly this one) about a series of bedtime stories that air on CBeebies, a children's network in the UK. The program (or programme, if you will) garnered a bit of attention for regularly featuring the stars of Doctor Who - a show of which I'm a HUGE fan. I sat down last night and gave some of these a listen, and... well, they're darn cute. It reminds me of the good old days when I could sit on the carpet and watch Reading Rainbow.

I was the luckiest teenager ever.


David Tennant, who played the Doctor for a good three-four years recently (and also played Barty Crouch in one Harry Potter movie or another) reads a story called "Miki" which, while it's not my favorite story, provides ample opportunity for the delightfully hammy Tennant to pull out some great voices.


Freema Agyeman also delivers a pretty fun tale called "That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown". Her voices aren't quite as funny as Tennant's, but the sincerity of her indignation when the naughty queen tries to take Emily Brown's rabbit from her is just... well, it's adorable.


Far and away, though, my favorite story was "Crocodiles Need Kisses, Too." The story's something of a riff on "Are You My Mother," but with an adorable little crocodile that scares all the other animals. A good story needs a good storyteller, and Alex Kingston does a fantastic job, imitating animal voices with great skill all while maintaining a suitably hushed, peaceful tone that could easily lull a body to suh-suh-suh-*yawn*-sleep.

Excuse me, I'm getting tired now. Going to sleep - see y'all Monday.

No comments: