Thursday, December 8, 2011

Things I'll Love Forever: Jim Henson's Muppets


I saw The Muppets a couple of weeks ago and have been recommending it pretty frequently to friends and coworkers. Surprisingly (at least I was surprised), a lot of my friends say that they don't like/never "got" the Muppets. I guess I see where they're coming from: I never quite understood what the Muppets were really about until I started watching The Muppet Show in earnest as an adult. Now I can't seem to get enough of them.
  • A lot of my fascination with the Muppets has to do with the mad genius that is Jim Henson. I watched a (lengthy) documentary from 1968 called Muppets on Puppets that illustrated just how talented Henson was. The man appears - well, to me, at least - to be a little shy and unsure of himself in front of the camera. However, put a puppet in his hands, and he's suddenly eloquent, witty, and charismatic. Jim Henson is quickly becoming one of the artists I admire most. And, yes, I do call his puppeteering "art."
  • I have a bit of comedic experience, so I know that it's difficult to do comedy without being raunchy. The Muppets, though, seem to manage it just fine, with a heavy reliance on puns and slapstick that, admittedly, isn't for everyone. If you ARE into that kind of thing, though, then the Muppets tend to get away with groaners that anyone else would be ashamed of. The fuzzy puppets make them work.
  • Back episodes of The Muppet Show introduced me to a lot of music that I'd not listened to before. Thanks to the Muppets, I have a brand new respect for classic rock and pop artists like Elton John, Leo Sayer, and Harry Belafonte. Also, just about any time you get Rowlf on the piano, I'm stuck to the TV screen. I LOVE that dog!
  • I've mentioned how much I love The Muppet Christmas Carol before, but it bears repeating. Gonzo makes a surprisingly competent Charles Dickens, and... heck, all of the Muppet performers lend a surprising amount of sincerity and self-awareness to one of my favorite stories of all time. Also, I have fond memories of arguing with my brothers over whether or not Beaker flips Michael Caine off (answer: I'ma say he does).
  • I don't know if its the music, the dancing, the guest stars, or what, but the Muppets seem to me to be one of the greatest "wholesome" groups around. I HATE the word "wholesome," by the way. It makes me think of a box of Fiber One. The thing is, though, that I actually feel good about watching the Muppets - the laughter's genuine, the songs are moving, and... heck, I've actually gotten to care about pieces of fabric wrapped around a guy's hand. That's gotta count for something.
Chalk it up to childish nostalgia if you must, but the Muppets have inspired me, and I'll love them forever.

Except for this guy:


Seriously? He sucks.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE the Muppets as well! It may or may not have to do with my father exposing me to the Muppets when I was so young, and his marvelous Kermit impressions. I would like to think it has more to do with how happy and carefree I feel whenever I watch them. Granted, I did cry twice while watching the last movie. Whenever I hear the Rainbow Connection sung by Kermit it is all over for me!

Garret said...

Pepe is awesome okaaay...

Heather said...

My brother actually proposed to his wife at a comedy club after singing her a love song with his Kermit puppet! It was awesome.

I saw the episode with Elton John several years ago, and still distinctly remember one of the Muppets asking, "Why does he dress like a stolen car?" Ah, so funny.