Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Wish I Said It First #15

#15

"By the same token, sexy is not exploitative, and exploitation is dishonest. Reverse that chain and you can see that, whoever you are writing, if you are honest about them, fair to them, and allow them their moments of brilliance, you can create that sexiness without it becoming pandering. Sexy is not a visual trait - that's titillation. Cheesecake, beefcake, those are entirely visual matters. What makes someone sexy - what makes anyone sexy, in my opinion - is less how they look than how they do. Competence is sexy. Capability is sexy. Confidence is sexy. Smart is sexy. A character who clearly embodies these traits in some capacity or another is a character who is going to be attractive."

-Greg Rucka, in an interview with Comic Vine

Since I've been bugged so much by the portrayal of women in comics, reading this quote from one of superhero comicdom's top writers really helped.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I requested a graphic novel series (Death Note) for Christmas from my parents (without offering suggestions, they just give me money). I doubt that the women in it will be that impressive, but I'm excited to read it! I haven't ventured into comics or graphic novels yet.

S.R. Braddy said...

If you ever want suggestions, I've got some.

I've not read Death Note, but I've seen the anime. It's a great high concept that suffers a little bit in the execution, but it's mostly good.

Heather said...

Sure, I'm open to suggestions. I like dark themes, and complex/well-developed/morally ambiguous characters. Haha, I doubt that narrows it down too much.

Knowing nothing, I would gravitate towards Batman, but often I have a bias against popular figures/titles.