Friday, May 31, 2013

Big Screen Breakdown: Now You See Me


I did NOT anticipate this film. At all. I hadn't even heard of it until I saw a few ads for it on Facebook, and I did with them what I normally do with Facebook ads (ie. ignored them). Then I caught a trailer for the film and realized who was in the cast. Morgan Freeman. Michael Caine. Mark Ruffalo. Woody Harrelson.

Oh, and that nerdy guy from The Social Network.

Once I saw the cast, I knew I had to see the movie. And now I've had my chance.
  • So the pitch for the movie probably went something like this: "It's Ocean's 11 meets The Fugitive and The Prestige." And that's really what you get here: one part heist movie, one part cops-and-robbers game with a magical twist. Four street magicians pull off some ostentatious heists in full view of the public, and the FBI run around like mad trying to stop them.
  • Honestly, I'm surprised that there aren't MORE movies about magicians out there. Even setting aside the fact that the style, flash, and performative aspects of cinema make it really easy to slip in a lot of misdirection, you've also got the medium's origins. One of the fathers of modern filmmaking, Georges Méliès, was a freakin' stage magician himself.
  • This is a large, all-star cast, and, to be fair, everyone gets a turn in the spotlight. I think Michael Caine is the only actor from the bunch I'd hoped to see more of.
  • I gave him crap earlier, but Eisenberg displays some real swagger here. He comes off as sort of the ringleader of the band of thieving magicians, and, for the limited time he's on the screen, he does well.
  • Those moments when Woody Harrelson gets to be Woody Harrelson are pure gold.
  • Morgan Freeman is never NOT good, and he comes across here as definitely sinister. It's a fine turn, Mr. Freeman.
  • I hoped to see some good range from Mark Ruffalo, who plays the leader of the FBI task force. He gets led around by the nose a LOT. It's a little like watching a big ol' hound dog get whipped with a belt - painful and really, really depressing. But his character's not supposed to be a big gallavanting hero. He's an interesting character to have carry a summer blockbuster, and not a bad choice.
  • The women in the cast are given little to do. Isla Fisher is little more than eye candy. Interpol agent Mélanie Laurent comes off a little better, but not much.
  • This is a fun, flashy movie, with a lot of action going on at any given moment. The camera has a hard time sitting still, but the energy the rapidly-switching shots bring to the story is delightful.
  • Not every movie needs a romantic subplot. Seriously, THOSE two hook up at the end? Why?
  • When all the secrets are revealed, when all the cards are finally on the table, I wonder if there's anything left for the movie to offer. It's a fun story, sure, but I don't know that there's anything in the plot to merit multiple viewings. While it's true the characters each get a moment to shine, none of them really grow from the experience. It's a good story, but character is not the focus, and without depth of character, the experience may come off as a little hollow.
  • But, truthfully, I'm nitpicking. There are movies that bore me, and then there are movies that make me laugh out loud for how much fun I'm having. Now You See Me definitely falls in the latter category.
  • Verdict: Good summer fun. Worth it.

No comments: