Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Cooking BLENDING with Braddy: "Not Easy Being Green" Smoothies


Ahh... So the great Pinterest rush continues. I found a decent selection of smoothie recipes while browsing the boards one day. Interested in increasing my vegetable intake, I gave a few of them a try. It turns out that red pepper smoothies will always taste like red pepper (which isn't a bad thing, especially if you add a little cinnamon to the mix), but the green smoothie was the one I got most excited for.

I'll admit it: I just now realized that the recipe doesn't actually call for kale, but that's what I've been using. You have to understand - the first time I shopped with these smoothie recipes in mind, I didn't actually have the recipes in front of me. I wound up just grabbing everything that I thought sounded like it went in one of the recipes I'd read and ran with it. So when I made the "Not Easy Being Green" smoothie, I just sorta winged it. Or is it "wang it"?

Ennnh! Scratch that. It's definitely "winged it."


As seen at the link above, the green smoothie didn't do much for me. I mean, it tasted fine, but the overpowering flavor of the ginger made me feel like I was drinking medicine rather than a tasty nutritious beverage. So I did a little experimenting. Actually, I just did ONE experimenting, but it was a good one. I added a banana.

Banana has a really strong flavor that overpowers just about everything. However, ginger ALSO has a really strong flavor that overpowers just about everything. The resulting shake has a really strong, sweet taste followed by a spicy aftertaste. The two flavors complement each other surprisingly well.

With those two taste titans dominating the drink, you could probably put just about ANYTHING in there, and all you'd taste would be the ginger and banana. But that's not a bad thing. Just means you can sneak more greens in.

2 comments:

Torrie said...

We make a green smoothie every morning and love it. For each smoothie, I basically just add a cup of milk, a whole banana (a half if it's frozen), some kind of frozen fruit (like mixed berries or peaches), and a huge handful of spinach. To add variation and change the texture, I'll sometimes put in yogurt as well.

Happy blending!

heidikins said...

"Just means you can sneak more greens in."

?!??!?!

It's like I don't even know you anymore.

xox