Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Done with the Drama




Oookay... So I've been going back and forth on how to compose this post. In fact, over the last five/six months, I think I've started composing the post, only to completely scrap it a week later. But it's a sentiment I've been meaning to address for a while, so I think I'd better do it, just to get it out of my system.

I think I'm done with theater.

That's gonna come as a surprise to a few people who only know me through my involvement with the community theater scene in Salt Lake and Magna. Heck, I know for a fact that there are several people in my church and work circles who think my ONLY distinguishing characteristic is that I do theater every now and again, as of they've never heard me talk about Batman or My Little Pony.

Sure, I'd do the odd show when the urge struck me, and I spent four sleep-deprived years in an improv comedy troupe. but something happened where I just sort of hit a wall, and I just don't want to do it anymore.

I actually THOUGHT I was done about three years ago, after I did a production of Arsenic and Old Lace (which I loved). Then I thought I was done after Damn Yankees (which I hated, as did everyone who ever saw it, ever). Then I got roped into Blithe Spirit (which was awesome, but next to no one saw it). And then... actually, that's about it. That was about a year ago, and I haven't hardly been tempted to audition for another show.

My improv career came to an end back in August. I'd tell you the story as to why I resigned, but, to quote Scott Pilgrim (the comic book, not the song), "it's a long story full of sighs." So I'll spare you. The short version is that I was dedicating too much time to something that wasn't bringing me the joy or fulfillment it once had. My other passions suffered as a result, as did my enthusiasm for the art of improv itself. I felt it was best for everyone that I left, and I haven't been seriously tempted to get back into it since.

Now this isn't to say that I'll NEVER do another show, nor can I say that I'm done with performing as a hobby. I got a real kick out of Christmas caroling back in December, so I think I'll try to get back into that (if my voice can ever decide to settle the crap down again). I definitely need to scale way back... and I say that now, nearly a year after my last great theatrical responsibility. It's going to be a long, slow recovery here.

So... yeah. I've had a few people ask me to come and audition for their shows, or recommend me to friends of theirs, and I'm grateful to be thought so highly of (or, alternatively, I'm sorry that y'all had to scrape so far down to the bottom of the bucket where I dwell). I've been turning these opportunities down, mainly because my personal and professional life have become so tumultuous that the additional responsibility of learning lines and blocking makes me break out in a greasepaint sweat. But a while back I decided that I wanted to be a writer, and I've tended to let my theatrical responsibilities get in the way of my writing goals. I just can't do that anymore.

And before any of you say that I'm neglecting a talent or whatever... you probably haven't heard me try to deliver dialog in a French accent. Let me tell you that I'm doing a favor to the ENTIRE theatrical community by staying the heck home.

1 comment:

Larissa said...

The best is that you have to explain this like you are coming out of the closet or something. No need to explain, darling!