Monday, July 22, 2013

Adventures in Animation: The Secret of Kells


Guys, this might be my new favorite movie...

Okay, I say that every time I see a new movie that makes me cry. I actually saw The Secret of Kells a couple of months ago when a friend and I were looking for some brain fodder on Netflix. The movie made a bigger impression on me than on my friend (or on his daughter), so I picked it up on the cheap at Barnes & Noble. And after watching it again last night... yeah, it might be my new favorite movie.

The Secret of Kells is about a young boy named Brendan. Brendan lives in an abbe with his uncle, who puts everyone in the abbe to work fortifying the town against invading vikings. Meanwhile, a visiting monk inspires Brendan to try his hand at transcribing the illuminated manuscripts.

The monk kinda looks like George Carlin:


Oh, and there's a fairy, who's got one of my favorite character designs in all of animation:


The animation's not quite what we've gotten used to from Disney, so it takes a little getting used to. The art style takes a lot of cues from the old illuminated manuscripts that the entire plot revolves around. But, if you can get used to that, there's a lot of depth to this story.

And I mean A LOT of depth. The illuminated manuscripts are obviously Christian in nature, yet Brendan gets a great deal of assistance from creatures from pagan mythology. The abbot diverts attention away from the transcription of scripture so that the physical safety of his town can be assured, while George Carlin believes that the Bible is the most worthwhile way they can spend their time. These conflicts between faith, practicality, and superstition create a compelling, convoluted world for young Brendan to try to comprehend.

Personally, I came away from the movie with a strange sense of optimism. I've had this bizarre, almost terrifying sense that there's something pretty bad coming my way - much like how the abbot anticipated the arrival of the vikings. There's no way to turn the disaster away, yet, with faith, the disaster can be endured, and beauty planted in its place. It's a beautiful message.

Or, you know, maybe I'm just off my lithium.

2 comments:

Miss Megan said...

I adore this movie! It's absolutely charming, and the animation is gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Have you seen The Triplets of Bellville? I actually haven't seen it in quite a few years and can't really remember it much, but I feel like its a movie you'd appreciate...Watch it.