Friday, July 5, 2013

Project 24: Give Me a Vision

The sun is beating on me,
And the sweat runs down my brow.
I've been so many places I
Don't know where I am now.
The truth is I've been searching,
Searching for so long,
Struggling up that path to heaven.
God, it makes me strong!

I can take the hailstorms
And bear the thunder's crack.
Throw the world up in my face
And I can beat it back.
Just give me a vision.
Bring it to my eyes.
Help me make my way at last
To paradise.

Some nights the rain is freezing.
Some nights the moon is hot.
I'd be grateful for whatever's mine
If I could remember what I've got.
A single night of peaceful rest
Is all I'm asking for.
This world's too full of bloody hills,
But I guess I'll climb one more.

I can taste the desert
From the dust upon my tongue.
Drop your fists upon me, now.
My body's already numb.
Just give me a vision.
Let the sun arise.
Help me make my way at last
To paradise.


Okay, this poem came across a little more pessimistic than my original vision. See, while I was writing, I was trying to recreate the feeling of some of the most deliciously
dramatic 80s music - like this one, for example. I guess I'm saying I went for "Eye of the Tiger," and wound up with "Show Me the Way." Both good songs, but SLIGHTLY different in tone.

Since there was something of a music theme going on (at least in my head), the picture is something I'd imagine on an album cover from the late 70s. A lot of abstract imagery. I don't know what the deal is with the battery nipples on the above figure. I thought maybe I'd seen something like it on an album cover before, but I wisely chose not to Google "battery nipples."

1 comment:

Heather said...

Battery nipples...ha. I like the pic and the lyrics.