Monday, July 8, 2013

Project 25: Somewhere Near The End

Some days the rising sun brings with it the inescapable dread of another day of mere survival.  This morning, though, with its crimson slashes of red across a violent sky, I greet with the sincerest of smiles.  Today, of course, is the day I finally kill myself.

Like the best of things, my death must be met with decorum.  I rise, shower, make the bed I haven't shared with anyone in nearly a decade.  With the time I usually dedicate to rummaging for breakfast in the metropolitan rubble, I enjoy a wrapped coffee cake I have been saving for the occasion.  Then I arm myself with the spear and machete - the last of my weapons - and make my way towards the tower.

It's been there for years, staring down at the meager existence I've managed to scrape together from the ashes of a fallen civilization.  I don't know when it first occurred to me that the fallen precipice, still much taller than the collapsed piles of concrete and fluorescent tubing, would be the most fitting memorial I could hope to find.  I suppose I must have always suspected, ever since I first set eyes on the structure five years ago, that this would be the place I met my end.

It won't be that bad, after I'm gone.  There's nobody left around here anyway.  I would have seen them by now.  I've been looking.

I enter the lobby, surprisingly still intact after everything, although the marble floor and countertops are sprinkled with ash.  Curiosity compels me, and I press the call button on the elevator.  Of course it doesn't work, and so I take the stairs, whistling to myself as I walk.  I don't remember the name of the tune anymore.  It's a jaunty melody, something about being in love.

From the stairwell I enter a decimated boardroom or cafeteria.  I can't tell which.  The building used to be much taller, but the catastrophe sheared the remaining stories away.  Now there's just me, a good ten floors above the ground, ready to leap to my death.

Except there's still another story to be seen.  There, in the corner, the converging walls still hold up a bit of the ceiling that separated this room from the floor above.  The stairs are gone, but if I can just cling to the exterior wall, I might be able to climb up.  I, thinking I had nothing better to do with my day, made the effort, and succeeded in reaching the eleventh story after only a few minor falls.

Thunder cracks.  There's a storm coming.  I let the wind whip past me and breathe deeply the first clean air I've tasted in a while.  I look up to the sky and prepare to drop off.  One foot hangs over the edge, and I am ready.

But then, there's that voice again.  Jubilant, shrill, and blasphemously alive.  Somewhere, out in the dilapidated jungle of ashes, I can hear a child playing.

I scream at the voice.  I demand it to be quiet.  Another blast of thunder, and the voice is gone.  I prepare myself again to jump, but I've quite lost my momentum.  The first few drops of rain splash on my face.  I jump back down to the story below, throwing my weapons down, and I curl up again in the corner.

Beneath the ledge where I had hoped to jump to my death, I wait the rain out.  I plan.  When it ends, I will reclaim my weapons and move back through the city streets, to forage again in the cryptic shops and kiosks.  Then I will sleep again, and in my dreams I will hear the tragic laughter of children dancing through the end of the world.


I've been on a pretty morbid streak recently. Got a few projects about death coming round. Here's one of them.

There's not too much I want to mention about this project, except that the illustration is actually digital. I drew it in the Procreate app, rather than using pen and paper, even though it reflects my usual black and white aesthetic. In some ways, I actually liked using the app more than the pen - the ability to undo mistakes is a delight. Still, I feel like a pen gives me a bit more precision when I work, so I'm not ready to dive fully into the digital age yet.

No comments: