Sunday, July 7, 2013

Cooking with Braddy: Alleppy Shrimp Curry


Sooo... shrimp. That's something new for me. I've always been a bit reluctant to cook with seafood. Living in a landlocked state may have contributed to that decision. But I mustered the courage to give it a go, and I went back once more to The Mighty Spice Cookbook which has served me so well to find my first shrimp recipe.

I get scared of accidentally inflicting food poisoning on an unsuspecting diner every time I cook with chicken, so you can probably imagine how high the paranoia ratcheted up when I decided to cook with shellfish. Working with shrimp was a bizarre experience - probably the closest I've ever come to living in a horror film. You peel off the skin, rip off the legs, cut open the back and yank out the vein. It's appalling, and it's a lot of work.


I wound up leaving the tails on the shrimp when I cooked them, as I remember hearing once that the tails are where the fishy flavor resides. It made actually eating the dish a bit messy - I got my fingers covered in curry, which means I had turmeric nails for a few days. Which, you know, is fine, because turmeric is awesome.

The curry sauce wasn't my favorite, here - it was surprisingly mild. Needed more... spices. Which spices, exactly, I don't know. It already had mustard, ginger, and turmeric. I guess I missed my garam masala and cumin. Maybe next time.

No comments: