Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Cooking with Braddy: Cambodian Caramelized Ginger Bananas


Guys, I've been wanting to try this recipe since I first started using The Mighty Spice Cookbook last year. I was fascinated by the thought that ginger and banana could go together (a fact that I found out for myself not too long ago). Besides, I don't make desserts too often, and something this exotic just had to be delicious.

Delicious, it definitely is. What I didn't expect, though, is that it's really easy to make. Ten... maybe fifteen minutes.


Okay, the recipe I followed actually called for the chef to make his own ice cream (from the vanilla BEAN rather than vanilla extract), but I got lazy. Store-bought vanilla ice cream tastes pretty good, too, especially when it's topped by what is essentially fresh ginger trapped in rock candy.

The ginger doesn't actually cook in the sugar syrup, though. It just sort of steeps in it, like tea, and that's enough to allow the flavor to permeate the dish. The spicy ginger is tempered by the sweet banana and ice cream, so it's a great and distinctive treat.

No comments: