Monday, May 16, 2011

Words are Yummy

Really. They are. You put them in your mouth, and, with the best of words, you can tell what they mean from how they taste.


delicious


for example, is a darn sexy word. If you don't believe me, you're probably not saying it right. Hold out the first syllable for a while, and then shake your head a bit as you move into the "L" sound. Said correctly, "delicious" has a very distinctive taste, and it's... well, you know.

Or how about


nubile


I don't think I ever knew EXACTLY what "nubile" meant. All I know is that, if I ever used it... questionably, let's say, I immediately felt unclean, almost as if I'd eaten one doughnut too many.

Compare that to


bureaucracy


Here's a word that almost NEVER tastes good. Probably because it's full of so many stupid letters (I can't ever spell "bureaucracy" without looking it up). The ONLY time I enjoy saying this word is when I'm angry - then I can bite off those last syllables with a bit of gusto.

Goes to show that some words need a bit of seasoning.

Finally, we have


masticate


a word that's not NEARLY as funny as it thinks it is.