Wednesday, November 2, 2011

NaNoWriMo: November 1 Update

Words Written Last Night: 1,746
Total Words Written: 1,746
Percent of Final Goal: 3%

Notes: A bit of a struggle, but the first day counts as a success – I got just about as much writing done as I was supposed to.

Last year, I wrote from an outline – I hopped around to whichever part of the story I felt most like writing. This year… I’m not doing that. I decided to try letting the plot evolve more organically, writing from beginning to end. I have a couple of characters in mind, and a couple of plot points and images that I’ll be writing towards, but no real concrete scenes. Also, I have no premeditated conclusion. I have NO IDEA how this story is going to end, and that’s… kind of exciting.

I forgot to mention yesterday that I’ve added an element to the NaNoWriMo process this year that I didn’t include last year – a media fast. I’m not indulging in ANY superfluous electronic entertainment – that means no movies, TV shows, or music (I have allowed myself some classical music to write to, but that’s it) Also, no video games. My time’s a lot less abundant this year than it was last, so these sacrifices may just be necessary for me to even finish the project this year.

No comments: