Thursday, November 3, 2011

News Newbie

I spend most of my Wednesdays out in Magna doing improv workshops with the Jesters Royale. Often, my favorite part of the workshop is a ten-minute segment we call "Pop Culture Theater," wherein we discuss a lot of current happenings and whatnot. Obviously, we usually focus on pop culture topics (big movies at the box office, popular bands, etc.). However, every now and again, someone will bring up something actually significant in the world at large.

For example, a couple of weeks ago, someone at the workshop mentioned a tear gassing incident that took place during a protest in New York. I asked him for more details - like what the protest was actually about - and he kinda shrugged and said, "I'm not sure they actually know."


He was, of course, talking about the "Occupy Wall Street" movement. And I had no idea that was actually happening.

Since then, I've tried to educate myself a bit on the subject, and I find that there's a LOT that's happened recently that I didn't know about. For example:
  • The country of Greece is on the verge of financial collapse.
  • Michael Jackson's doctor, who treated the pop star just before he died, is apparently still on trial for manslaughter.
  • There was a little riot in Egypt that makes the "Occupy Wall Street" movement look like a pickup football game
  • Apparently, people start running for president more than a year before the actual election.
I kid a little - I'm not a COMPLETE ignoramus, and I'd heard bits and pieces about all the above. The point still stands that I have next to no idea WHAT is going on in the world today outside of what's reported by The Daily Planet (Hot Tip: The Daily Planet doesn't actually exist).

So I've spent the last few days actively looking up news. It's weird, and I'm not quite sure I'm understanding EVERYTHING going on. It's like I've started watching a new television show halfway through the season, and I don't know who the characters are yet.

(I'm pretty sure that's a sad and telling metaphor I've chosen to employ.)

Anyway, I'm sticking to this whole "news" thing for a while. I mean, I'm an alleged adult now (at least, that's what my driver's license tells me). Guess it's time to stay informed.

2 comments:

Dashbo's no-brainer math for right-brained folk. said...

Well okay, but it will make you sad.

Natalie, the journalist said...

as a reporter (who doesn't watch the news, even though I report it- comforting thought, huh?) this is the tip I use to make sure I stay up on headlines- set your homepage of your browser to a local news station. That way whenever you pull it up, you can quickly scan the headlines for the news happening that day and move on.