Monday, November 14, 2011

NaNoWriMo: November 13 Update

Words Written Last Night: 1,761
Total Words Written: 20,578
Percent of Final Goal: 41%

Notes: Look at me! I’m only about a day behind schedule now. Go weekends!

I’ve said it before, but the process of discovery during NaNoWriMo is far and away the best part. I’ve been exploring my main character’s school life, and, as a result, I’ve uncovered a lot of interesting little plot threads. There’s a young man at Wendy’s school who obviously has a thing for her, although he doesn’t always choose to express himself in the best way.

Now, the coolest thing to happen this weekend came from a single word. My main character has a lot of resentment towards her father, who may or may not be a complete monster. I haven’t quite decided. Anyway, the important bit is that she PERCEIVES him to be, if not evil, at least out of touch. Her poor relationship with her father has started to affect Wendy’s school life – hence, her now frequent visits with the principal. In one of the principle’s lectures, I revealed that he doesn’t talk much with Wendy’s father “anymore.”

I hadn’t intended to write the word “anymore” – it just kind of slipped out of my fingers and onto the page. Suddenly, a whole, unspoken history between Wendy’s father and her principal revealed itself to me, and that history might have some pretty profound effects on the main story.

I don’t know about you, but I think that’s darned awesome!

No comments: