Friday, November 4, 2011

NaNoWriMo: November 3 Update

Words Written Last Night: 1,768
Total Words Written: 4,615
Percent of Final Goal: 9%

Notes: Last night, I had an “Oh, yeah” moment. As in, “Oh, yeah, THAT’S why I like NaNoWriMo.”

I’ve been writing mostly introductory elements right now – explaining first meetings between the major characters and the like. A lot of what I’ve written (re: everything I’ve written) is total crap and won’t survive the first revision; however, it’s all been valuable. I’m building characters – except that’s not quite right. I’m DISCOVERING characters.

Wendy, for example, is an artist – she likes to draw and paint. I didn’t know that about her when I started. Her father, a doctor, treats his patients like family and his family like patients. He walks hunched over with his big hands folded into his pockets. Both of these characters are starting to feel like real people to me, and that’s EXCITING.

Tomorrow I start writing about Peter (yeah, HE’S in the story, too). I’m looking forward to getting to know him.

1 comment:

Gingerstar.kw said...

I'm finding this process fascinating!