Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Confessions: Wedding Fantasy


I tried to find a good wedding picture, but everything I saw on Google Image search was so cliche and run-of-the-mill that I couldn't really pick it.

Hmm... maybe THAT'S why I'm still single.

1 - At one wedding I attended with some friends, we saw a bride and groom getting their pictures taken.

"Check it out," I said, "that bride totally has her hand in her husband's back pocket."

"Oh, man," my friend said. "I can't WAIT until you get married and that happens to you."

"That'll never happen to me."

"Why? You're bride won't want to touch you?"

"No, man, she won't have any arms. I'm gonna marry a torso."

2 - I HATE wedding receptions. I planned for the longest time never to have one, so I wouldn't have to put up with all the hassle of planning it - not to mention the feuding in-laws.

(Yes, I KNOW that, traditionally, the groom's family doesn't plan the reception, but I've seen so much drama even from the GROOM'S side of things that I'd still rather abstain from the whole thing).

Well, I've recently changed my tune. When* I get married, I plan on having a reception - mainly just so I can get swag from my parents' friends.

3 - The one reception that I had genuine FUN at had a big dance. I plan on having a dance when* I get married.

And my bride WILL let me play Robert Palmer at my wedding or she's gonna have to find another sugar daddy!

*"if"

7 comments:

Larissa said...

Does reading about weddings on STEPHEN's blog make anyone else slightly uncomfortable and slightly giggly all at the same time? Why the sudden change of heart mon frere?

miss kristen said...

Holy cow Larissa. I was thinking the SAME THING.

Mitzi said...

When we were planning a Utah reception (which didn't really end up happening), we were going to rent out Wheeler Farm and then rent a ton of inflatables and show up in Bride & Groom t-shirts and jeans. Nothing like a bride and groom's first sumo match.

Matt and Carolyn said...

uh...I hope you had fun at my reception Braddy
:( Also you could have pulled that pic of you matt, brandon and me that you vandalized...you probably don't remember. it's on fb.

Justina said...

I agree Larissa! :D

Heather said...

So, I'm trying to understand why you gave me your address for one of my invitations when you HATE receptions. Perhaps you like getting mail?

Actually, planning it was a bit stressful at times, but, I'm totally looking forward to the swag. And while I can't control how many people dance and how many don't, I did make sure that we've got some live music with Beatles and Billy Joel requests primarily.

Regrettably, my mom and fiance both insisted that I have a line...which I never thought I would tie myself down to. Only for an hour though!

Unknown said...

A word about receptions: Worst experience relating to marriage EVER!! Planning and executing a reception is miserable. Worst possible gateway to marriage. Skip it if at all possible.

That stated, I loved being married. Getting married was awful, but actually being married is amazing. Trust me.