Friday, October 29, 2010

Power Panels 2

I've mentioned the book Asterios Polyp here before. Despite the fact that the book contains graphic depictions of sex and nudity (graphic enough, at least, to offend my delicate Mormon sensibilities), I can't seem to stop thinking about it. Asterios Polyp is definitely one of the more fascinating graphic novels I've ever read.

A lot of my fascination has to do with this page:


I checked Asterios Polyp out from the library. On my way back to the car, I opened up randomly to a page in the middle, read the above section, and immediately fell in love with it.

Really, the page is self-explanatory. Every time a person replays a memory, they recreate and subtly redefine the experience - a fact demonstrated by the picture at the bottom of the page.

The reason I LOVE this page so much is that it's a perfect example of something a comic can do that other forms of storytelling can't. The juxtaposition of words and static images in such close proximity allows readers to appreciate the subtle differences enough to really get the full impact of the idea being presented, and they can do so at their own pace. Absolutely brilliant.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

That is a slightly mind blowing concept. It's going to be replayed and re-analyzed in my mind for a while now. Thanks for the new "song" I won't be able to get out of my head. ;)

Psychoticmilkman said...

That's way too deep a topic for my mind to wrap around for as early in the morning that I'm reading it.