Saturday, October 16, 2010

Slack-Jawed Fantasy

A while back I confessed my love for sketching the models in the Nordstrom's catalog that somehow continue to make their way into the office where I work. At the same time, I made a comment that most of the models kinda look ridiculous because they stand around with their jaws sorta just hanging open, like they went looking for their sequined stilletto heels, walked into a room, and forgot why they were there.

A friend pointed out to me that the partially-open mouth is considered attractive, even sensual. Which... well, I had to concede the point at the time. Now, I'm not so sure.

See, we got another catalog in the mail yesterday, and looky what I found inside:


Now, Nordstroms seems to only use five different models in their catalogs, so I've seen other pictures of this woman and know she's more attractive than this. But, tell me: is there ANY way to look at this picture and not think, "This bag is heavy. Dur."?

This is just an ugly shot. From the unintelligent grin to the slack body language, this model looks like she just ran a 5k in those shoes and is just DYING for a sit-down, but her bosses won't let her until they get their pic for the catalog. And that's just inhumane.

Seriously, this makes me want to pick up a bag like that and show them how a modelling shoot is REALLY done!

...

Oh, wait. I see what they did there.

4 comments:

Garret said...

Really they're just doing an advertising test. They replaced their advertising department with a small clan of monkeys. They're going to see if it makes a difference in their sales, or if all their customers are sheep that'll by anything that's in an ad somewhere.

Larissa said...

Waif-ish, ill-looking, exhausted women carrying bags that weigh more than they do aren't your thing? Weird...

Heidi said...

Forget the slack-jawed face, does it look like she's got on a saggy diaper to anyone else?

Manelle said...

Saggy diaper was pretty much what popped into my head when I saw it.