Monday, October 25, 2010

Things I'll Love Forever: 500 Days of Summer


I've got very specific criteria when it comes to selecting movies that I like. My favorite movies are usually non-linear stories with complex morals, ambiguous endings, and at least a pinch of artsy-pretentiousness. Okay, not ALL of my movies fit this description, but most do.

Like, for example, 500 Days of Summer.

1 - The *ahem* "love" story of 500 Days of Summer hits REALLY close to home. I've often been in the situation where I've been more committed to a relationship than the other party. I've often pined after the person I just broke up with for MONTHS after the breakup (and, in one particular instance, a couple of years). And I've often let those emotions compel me to do silly, silly things.

2 - Despite the emotional tailspin Tom goes into after Summer breaks up with him, he comes out the other side better. He lets Summer's influence prompt him to change his life and start focusing on what he REALLY wants to be doing. This is an aspect of relationships (and, specifically, break-ups) that almost NEVER gets touched on in media, and I really appreciated seeing it.

3 - Speaking of non-linear artsy pretension... 500 Days of Summer is chock-full of weird little transitions that give a bit more information on the plot, including a happy dance break reminiscent of Enchanted and a series of interviews with Tom's friends about what "love" is. Now, these little breaks from reality are fun, but, to me, they serve the higher purpose of making clear that the plot is told from Tom's EXTREMELY biased point-of-view - which serves as a nice way for the creator to cover his own @%%. Plus, it's another example of the "unreliable narrator" tool that I love so much.

4 - Chloe Moretz plays Tom's little sister Rachel, and she just might be my new favorite character in all of movie-dom.

5 - Despite a rather inflammatory opening line, the movie actually REFUSES to villainize the titular heartbreaker. Summer is straightforward from the beginning about her intentions, and remains sympathetic and human right up to the end. There's no simplification, no "she is a WHORE and therefore we HATES her." She's definitely flawed - definitely human - but she's by no means evil, which makes her the perfect foil for Tom and his clinginess.

And, really, that's all I can say about it.

500 Days of Summer, I haven't know you very long, but I can already tell that I'll love you forever.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I've been wanting to see this. Maybe I'll have to actually get around to it. Hearing what your taste in a romance is, I think you would like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I loved it.

Larissa said...

6 - the great company!
Why does that pesky Jessica Simpson "I'm gonna love you forever" song come to my head right now? Get it out!
Glad you liked the movie - I kneeeeew you would! Makes all those minutes of trying to convince you of it back stage SO totally worth it.

Justina said...

Ha, I really want to see it now if both YOU and Larissa liked it.