Friday, October 15, 2010

The Last of the Car Radios

Y'know, in this age, when everyone else has upgraded to satellite radio or hooked up their iPods to the car dash, I feel a bit like a rolling anachronism in my '93 Mazda Protege all pimped out with a cassette deck and 12 FM pre-sets.


This is why I'm hot

The awkward technological backwardness I feel is further compounded when, between 12 different pre-programmed radio stations I have carefully selected through literal days of driving between Salt Lake City and Magna, I can't find a single song I want to listen to.

The realization hit me the other day that, when I'm surfing the pre-sets, I'm actually looking for specific songs. Nowadays, it's one of these:

  • Muse, "Resistance"
  • Nine Inch Nails, "Hurt"
  • Jason Derulo, "Ridin' Solo"
  • Justin Timberlake, "My Love"
  • Doobie Brothers, "What a Fool Believes"
  • Beastie Boys, "Brass Monkey"
  • Ram Jam, "Black Betty"
  • Incubus, "Dig"
  • Young MC, "Bust a Move"
  • Avenged Sevenfold, "Bat Country"

I like a little bit of everything, I guess. Except Pitbull. Not a fan of that guy.

The nice thing about listening to the radio is that, every now and again, you get the nice surprise of hearing a song you'd forgotten about. It's almost like falling in love again - without all the requisite paperwork.

Still, it'd probably be easier to just invest in iTunes.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Anachronism is one of my all time favorite words. You just brightened my day by using it in your blog. And, don't go for iTunes, too much trouble.

Larissa said...

And here I was thinking I was totally pimped out with my 8 CD changer in the trunk, but you got me beat hands-down.
And your comment on my blog? You think you're soooooo clever;-)

Psychoticmilkman said...

I'm still rocking 12 presets and a tape-deck. I just also have an iPod that I plug into that tape-deck.

And iTunes rocks by the way. Best music player/organizer ever!

Heather said...

Get a Zune! Stick it to Apple!