Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Confessions: Rap

1 - I've always loved rap. It's true. Specifically, I've always had a soft spot for this guy:

...which is actually pretty funny, because Eminem is one of two musicians whose repertoire actually frightens me.

He's the other.

Anyway, I always thought, "Man, if only Eminem would rap about something OTHER than beating women, I'd probably call myself a fan." And then he wrote "Love the Way You Lie."

And, yeah, I actually love this song.

Sure, it's another song about misogyny and abuse, but I think it's slightly different from some of the others I've heard. I don't think it's intended to be mean-spirited. If nothing else, the inclusion of Rihanna on the track (herself a victim of abuse) leads me to believe that, more than anything else, the song's meant to portray the mindscape of the abuser - not to excuse him, but to UNDERSTAND him.

Which, I think, is actually more important from a strictly artistic POV.

2 - Ever hear the song "Magic"? It's probably my favorite song currently playing on the radio.

B.o.B. kinda bugged me up until now. His earlier hit, "Airplane," struck me as bland and completely forgettable if not for the stupid premise. As for "Nothin' on You"... Yuck. Completely unlistenable.

"Magic," though, is pretty awesome. The song's pure fun - I can't picture ANYONE rhyming like that without getting a HUGE grin on their face. The song reminds me of Andre 3000 - full of fun.

Actually, when you consider the tongue-in-cheek egoism of the song, it comes across as this strange mash-up between Outkast and Weezer that TOTALLY WORKS. Plus, Weezer's Rivers Cuomo provides the vocals, and that's just way too cool.

3 - I know he's supposed to suck or whatever, but I kinda like Flo Rida. I'd love to learn the lyrics to "Club Can't Handle Me," except I never have any intention of going to the club, so it'd be a patent lie.

Also, I can't ever understand what the heck he's saying. But he sure is bouncy when he says it.

3 comments:

miss kristen said...

Holy crap. I never would have tagged you as a closet Rap fan.

I'd pay good money to see you rap.

Awesome.

Anonymous said...

I'm a Nelly girl myself. I pick and choose select songs from other rappers as well.

Psychoticmilkman said...

I'm not convinced.