Thursday, November 4, 2010

NaNoWriMo: November 3 Update

Words Written Last Night: 1,683
Total Words Written: 6,207
Percent of Final Goal: %12.4

Notes: Wednesday nights, when I have improv workshop, are going to be difficult for me here.

As I write, I continue to be underwhelmed by the main character I’ve selected – mainly because he feels so underdeveloped. In revision, I may opt to remove him completely and focus on some of the other, livelier characters.

I’ve gone into a bit more detail about Peter Priest – the man who wrote A Velvet Noose in the world of my story. I always knew he was going to be a bad man – he dies before the story even begins, shot down while attempting to murder a woman with his bare hands. I don’t think I realized exactly how twisted he was going to come out. I kinda like him – in a fascinating, villain-y way. Too bad I killed him off before getting to know him.

I may have to change some of these names. Peter Priest sounds a bit too much like Peter Priesthood, which has some unfortunate connotations for Mormon people.

Also, nearly every time I go to write A Velvet Noose, I wind up writing A Velvet Revolver. And that would be a completely different story.

Addendum: I think I may have solved my protagonist issue while taking a shower this morning.

Moral of the story: Always take a shower.

3 comments:

Larissa said...

Go Stephen, Go Stephen, GO!

Heather said...

You are supposed to go into more detail about the shower-epiphany. I remember having a boring protagonist too once. Basically, I decided that I'd turn him into a "red herring" protagonist, and then kill him off at some point. Can't say how well that worked, I never finished it... :/

kelvin s.m. said...

...Good luck...!!! ...it's a bit toxic, isn't it???:)

Good day!