Friday, November 5, 2010

NaNoWriMo: November 4 Update

Words Written Last Night: 2,335
Total Words Written: 8,542
Percent of Final Goal: %17

Notes: I think I started writing in present tense, but I’ve since switched to past. Whoops. Thing is, I’m not sure which I like better. The immediacy of present tense is nice, but it feels pretty unnatural to force present tense for an entire book. I’ll need to think about that one.

Part of the reason the story I’m writing is so fragmented is because it involves a lot of authors who are writing their own stories. Each of these little stories contributes to the plot as a whole – in theme, if not directly in action. I’m finding it’s interesting to try to give the author’s different voices. It’s easy to do with stories like A Velvet Noose, which is supposed to be highly modernist and experimental, but more difficult to do with straightforward stories like the one I worked on last night.

Mrs. Rachel Booth, one of the minor characters, shares a story about a cat that turns into a girl. She says the girl is based on a dream she had about a little boy. In the dream, she grew quite fond of the little boy, so much so that, when she woke up, she missed him. The story of the cat and the girl is based on a similar dream I once had.

Available for Review:
Mrs. Booth’s Story – The Woodcutter

No comments: