Tuesday, November 9, 2010

NaNoWriMo: November 8 Update

Words Written Last Night: 2,416
Total Words Written: 14,321
Percent of Final Goal: %28

Notes: I put on some classical music last night while doing my writing. I figures that classical music helps with concentration; the music’s so boring on its own that you will concentrate on anything else to avoid paying attention to it. I listened to Vivaldi’s “Four Seasons” and Berlioz’s “Symphonie Fantastique,” and, sure enough, I can’t tell you anything about either of them.

I’m writing a lot of dialog. I’ve always considered dialog to be my greatest weakness in writing – it always seems to come off kind of stilted. I think I hit on how to include more emotion during dialog scenes last night. What I have trouble with, though, is putting dialog together with setting descriptions.

If I adhere strictly to the outline of the story I’ve made for myself, I doubt I’ll have enough plot to fill a full 50,000 words. Luckily, I’m finding new things to write about as I explore the characters I’ve already got. I’ve spent so much time worrying about the action that I’ve forgotten that the characters THEMSELVES are supposed to change. It’s given me something to think about (and, hopefully, an extra 20,000 words to write about).

Available for Review: Angie’s Story - Clover

1 comment:

Larissa said...

I particularly enjoy the use of "Dialog" four times in four sentences. Bravo :-)

Great work.

I find classical music beautiful and relaxing, yet never choose to listen...that part of my brain has yet to be enlightened.